HP printer problems? How to download & Install HP Drivers
If you are unable to access your HP device or your HP device is not working, chances are there is some problem with your HP device drivers.
This is likely to be the case if:
- You have upgraded your HP device but have not installed the latest drivers
- You have upgraded your Windows operating system and the old HP drivers are not compatible with your new Windows operating system
- You have accidentally removed the HP drivers file
Continue reading to find out how to identify if the problem is driver related and how to download and install the latest HP drivers to fix the issue.
Use the Device Manager to identify your HP printer problem
If the cause is outdated or missing HP drivers, it will appear in Device Manager. You can access the Device Manager by performing the following steps:
- Open Control Panel
- Double-click System
- Click Device Manager
All the installed hardware will appear in the Device Manager. Look for your HP device. If you see a question mark, exclamation point, or a yellow triangle next to your HP device, it means that there is some problem with your HP device.
You can fix the problem by downloading and installing the latest HP drivers. However, first note down your HP device’s make and model number, as you will need this information when locating the correct driver on HP’s official website. This information is displayed in Device Manager, next to your HP device.
How to locate the right Driver on HP’s website
- To download a HP Driver from HP’s website you will need to follow these steps:
- Log on to http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
- Enter your product name/number in the Search box under Drivers & Software, and then click the Search button
- Select your Windows operating system version from the drop-down menu, and then press the Next button
- All the drivers and software available for the product and your Windows system will be displayed.
- Click Driver – Product Installation Software. Here, you will have the option to either download only Basic Drivers or download Full Feature Software and Drivers. Click the option that suits your needs best.
- Click the Download button
- Save the driver file (.exe) in a suitable place, such as your desktop
How to install the HP Driver
To install the driver, simply double-click the HP Driver file that you have downloaded and follow the onscreen instructions. You may need to restart Windows after installation is complete.
Get Automatic Driver Updates
Using a Driver Update Tool can be a simple and effective way of fixing driver-related errors. There are many advantages of using a Driver Update Tool, such as:
- Speed – searching for Drivers yourself can be time-consuming and frustrating
- Reliability – Driver Update Tools can have vast databases of Device Drivers
- Efficiency – a driver update tool will often update your required Drivers (by exact-matching to your PC’s specific requirements) and will keep these Drivers up-to-date as new versions are released