Dell sound not working? Audio problems with your Dell computer
If you are having sound problems on your Dell computer (such as bad sound quality or no sound at all) then this article may help you.
Rule out the obvious Sound issues on your Dell device
It may seem very obvious but it can save you hours of needlessly troubleshooting a sound problem if you first check the points below!
- check that the speakers / audio output volume is not muted – check on both the device itself and the PC
- if the speakers are external, check the wires are plugged in fully and all necessary connections are made
When you have checked these issues and are confident that your speakers are not muted and the wiring is ok, then you can move on to the next troubleshooting step – checking sound drivers.
Check Sound card / audio adapter
If you are not confident updating Drivers then you can use a Driver Update Tool such as DriverDownloader to automate this process for you. Either way, before having to register the product, you can use the ‘Drivers scan’ option on DriverDownloader to assess if your problem is driver-related. This may save you some time and the driver report is free.
Follow the steps below to check if your sound card is working:
- select Start > (right click) My Computer > Manage
- In the Management window select > Device Manager
- Next to Sound, Video and Game Controllers click the + sign
- A yellow triangle will signify a problem so if one is present, right-click that device and select Properties
- You can then choose to update the driver
If you have not run Windows Updates in a while, you should do so now as this can often help resolve Drivers issues.
Automatic Driver Updates for Dell Sound Drivers
A simple and effective way of fixing driver-related errors is by using a Driver Management Tool such as DriverDownloader (download link below). Use our search tool or the links below to search for help/ articles on Dell audio/ sound driver problems.