Fix Printer Drivers problems
Printer errors like ‘Windows fails to recognize the new hardware’ are not uncommon, especially when you are trying to install your new printer or connect it to your computer.
It is likely that your printer driver was installed incorrectly in such a case, and for this reason Windows is unable to recognize the device.
Fortunately, printer driver problems are easy to resolve. Read on to learn more about printer drivers, what causes the more common printer driver errors, and how to troubleshoot printer driver problems.
About Printer Drivers:
Printer drivers are software programs, and their main job is to convert the data you command to print to the form that is specific to the installed printer.
Printer driver problems may occur due to the following reasons:
- The printer driver is configured incorrectly
- The printer driver is not compatible with the installed printer or your version of Windows
- The entry of your printer driver in the Windows registry is incorrect
- Malware has infected your printer driver files
Common Printer Driver problems:
If your printer driver develops a problem, you may not be able to print any document or may fail to use certain features included in your printer.
Given below are two common printer driver error messages:
- Error 1 – Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Meaning – The above error usually signifies that the installed printer driver is an older version.
- Error 2 – Spoolsv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Meaning – The above error usually occurs when the installed printer driver is not compatible with your Windows operating system.
What can I do to fix Printer Driver problems?
Install the latest printer driver using a driver management tool
You can easily resolve printer driver problems using a reliable driver update tool such as DriverDownloader (software approved and certified by AppEsteem). Install and open DriverDownloader, and click the SCAN button. The software will automatically identify your printer, locate the latest printer driver for your printer in its database, and install it.
Although you can usually install the latest driver manually, the process can be time consuming, depending on the driver you are looking for. The steps given below are the ones you need to follow to manually install a printer driver:
Install the latest driver from the Printers folder
If the latest driver is stored on your Windows computer, perform the following steps to install it:
- Open Control Panel
- Click Hardware and Sound
- Click Printers
- Right-click the printer whose driver you need to install, and then select Run as administrator
- Click Properties
- Click Advanced
- Click the New Driver tab, and then follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver
Download and install the latest printer driver from the manufacturer:
Visit the printer manufacturer’s website, locate the latest driver for your printer, and then download it. Install the driver by following the instructions given on the manufacturer’s website.
List of the most common Printer Drivers
- Cannon SELPHY ES3
- Cannon SELPHY ES2
- Cannon SELPHY ES1
- Dell Printer W5310n (Workgroup Laser)
- Dell Printer V505 AIO Inkjet
- Dell Printer P1500 (Personal Laser)
- Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 460cb
- Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 1125c
- Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 3915
- Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 3938