Several situations may require an AMD Driver update:
- You have an old Driver installed and a newer Driver version is needed so that you can take advantage of the latest features
- You have upgraded the hardware and require the latest Driver to avoid incompatibility issues
- You are getting an error or errors that suggest an outdated or corrupt AMD Driver is the culprit
- You have performed a clean install
You can update your AMD Drivers using the AMD Driver Autodetect Utility or you can update them manually. Both methods are discussed here in detail.
If you are upgrading your Operating System or have a number of Drivers you need to update, you would be better using a driver update tool. You can download this software and run a Free Drivers Scan of your PC to check for outdated or missing Drivers.
Updating Drivers with AMD Driver Autodetect Utility
The tool helps you download a new AMD Driver if available. It detects your operating system and graphics card and then suggests the latest available Driver. It works on Windows systems only.
Complete these steps to update your AMD Driver:
- Go to AMD Auto Detect Tool page
- Click Download, and then click Run in the prompt window (The Utility will launch itself automatically after the completion of the download.)
- The Utility will analyze your operating system and graphics hardware and will suggest the most appropriate Driver on basis of its findings. Click the Download button to download the recommended Driver
AMD Driver Autodetect Utility Can’t the Graphics Card or Operating System
You may receive the following error when your run the AMD Driver Autodetect Utility:
“We are unable to find your product or OS”
The error means that the Autodetect Utility was not able to identify your operating system or product and you will have to manually update your Drivers or use a driver update tool.
If you are manually updating your Drivers you will need to check the model of graphics card installed (if using a Driver Update Tool the software will do this for you).
- Open Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Search field and press Enter)
- Click Display Adapters
- You will find the model number under the Display Adapters; note it down
Now that you have the model number, complete the following steps to manually download the Driver:
- Go to the AMD Driver Download page
- In the Manually Select Your Driver box, select the appropriate option in the appearing drop-down menus
- Click Display Results
- Go through the results and download the latest Driver
For help wtih other AMD and Graphics issues, click on the links below: