It is important to update Graphics Drivers to get optimum performance from your computer. Often computer users do not update their Graphic Drivers after installing them for the first time, probably because of a lack of knowledge about how to go about it. Below are the steps you need to perform to install the latest Graphic Drivers.
Before updating the Graphics Driver, note down the Display Device provider and the version of the installed Driver.
How to find the Driver version in Windows
- Click on the Start button on desktop
- Type Device Manager in the search box
- Select Device Manager from the list of search results
- In the Device Manager window, go to Display Adapters
- Double click on it to expand
- Right-click on device and select Properties
- In the Properties window, click the Driver tab
- Note down the details like Driver Provider, Driver Date, and Driver version
If the Driver Date is 1-2 years old, there is a possibility the graphics device manufacturer has released an update.
You can also run a driver update tool, if you want to use the software to automatically update the Drivers for you then you will need to register to receive a license key. If you use a Driver Update Tool such as this then you can disregard the rest of this post as the software will complete the Driver Updates for you and keep them up-to-date in the future.
There are three major graphic chips manufacturers – Intel, AMD and NVIDIA. Each graphics device manufacturer has its own method of updating Graphic Drivers
Updating NVIDIA Drivers
- Open your browser and go to the following URL – http://www.geforce.com/drivers
- Go to the Manual Search section
- Enter information related to graphics device in your computer
- Click Search
- Download the latest driver from the search results page
- Right-click on the downloaded file and select Run as administrator
- After the installation completes, reboot the computer
Updating AMD Graphics Drivers
AMD provides an Auto Detect tool that simplifies the process of updating Drivers.
- Download the AMD Driver Autodetect tool from the following URL – http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool#
- Install the application and run it
- The application will detect the graphics device and driver version installed on your computer
- If there is any updated driver available, it will prompt you to download it
- Download the driver update file and click Install
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot the computer
Updating Intel Graphics Drivers
The driver update process for Intel Graphics Drivers is similar to that of AMD. Intel provides the Intel Driver Update utility that checks for the driver version installed on your computer. The utility checks for any driver updates available and downloads them for you.
- Download the Intel Driver Update utility from the following URL – http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
- Run the installer
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the application
- Launch the application and click Scan
- The driver update utility will check for any driver updates available and prompt you to download latest drivers for the graphics device
- Download and install the latest Intel graphics drivers
- Reboot the computer after installing the latest graphic drivers
If the drivers you require are not available from the manufacturers website, then we would advise you to use a reliable driver update tool to update your Graphics Drivers.