In the world of printing and peripheral office equipment, Canon reigns supreme. For roughly 50 years, it has focused largely on image quality, which also includes printing technology. Canon has a vast array of printer models in its product line, which is perhaps the widest of all printer manufacturers.
Whether you need a printer for personal use, office use, or schoolwork, Canon is likely to have the right printing product for your needs. Its printing offerings have something for everyone and include the following:
- Single function printers (laser and inkjet)
- Multi-function printers (laser and inkjet)
- Black-and-white laser printers and color laser printers
- Home office printers
- Mobile printers
- Large-format scanners
One of the most impressive things about Canon’s peripheral devices is that they are very easy to install and operate. However all printers are likely to develop issues at some stage. One of the most common problems Canon users can face when using its printer is that of Canon printer is not responding.
If you are experiencing this issue then don’t worry – it is fairly straightforward to resolve, and you can easily fix it yourself (with a little help from us).
Printer error troubleshooting steps
Some of the steps you must take immediately upon seeing the error include:
- Check whether or not your printer is switched on. If it is, make sure it is in the ready status.
- Make sure the printer is securely connected if you use on a cable connection.
- If your printer is attached to your device wirelessly through a USB port, makes sure the USB port you are using is operable. (A simple way to check this is by attaching the printer through another USB port. If it connects, you can safely assume there’s some problem with the previous port.)
- Check whether or not the router is working properly.
The ‘Canon printer is not responding‘ error generally appears in the following two scenarios:
When installing a new printer for the first time
Generally, this occurs because of either connectivity or software issues.
If you are installing a wireless printer, this error may appear due to a setup issue with the access points or network router.
You can resolve the problem in the case of a wireless connection by following these steps. Keep in mind you may need the password for the wireless access point.
- First, press the Setup button. Next, select Wireless LAN Setup, and then click OK
- Choose Easy Setup and then click OK
- Select Access Point. If you are prompted for a password, enter it and then click OK
- Now, load the setup media (Canon) on your computer and then run it to complete the installation process of Canon software.
You need to perform these steps just once. Run a test job to see if your printer is now working as it should be.
In case wired connections are involved, first make sure the connecting cable is securely connected with your printer and the port and is fully compatible with both. If you are using a networked printer, ensure the Ethernet cable is in good condition. Using substandard cables is not advised as they can not only affect performance but also cause problems, such as the canon printer not responding error.
Apart from connectivity issues, software problems can also trigger this error. For instance, outdated drivers frequently cause the “canon printer not responding error”. Keep in mind using the included setup media alone is not enough; you must make sure you download and install all the important system and software updates.
However, first restart your Windows computer. Sometimes, this simple step can help fix temporary glitches. While you are at it, don’t forget to power off the printer for 5-10 seconds and power it on. If neither works, try powering off and on the wireless router to which your printer is connected before trying the below-mentioned solutions.
Download Windows Updates
Windows updates often provide important system and software updates. You can run Windows updates by performing these steps:
- Click the Start button
- Type “windows update” in the Start Search box. A list of options will appear; select Windows Update and then click Check for updates
- Windows will install all applicable updates. Follow onscreen instructions if any
- Restart Windows
If Windows Update doesn’t have the latest printer driver, you can download it either manually or automatically using a reliable driver update tool. For most people, the latter is a better option because it is simpler and doesn’t require any sort of technical knowledge.
Manually update Canon printer driver
You can manually update your Canon printer driver using the Device Manager utility or by directly downloading the latest driver from the Canon’s website.
- Hold down the Windows key and press ‘R’
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the run dialog box and press the Enter key
- In the device manager window, locate your printer under ‘print queues’
- Now, right click the Canon printer and then click on Update Driver
- Select the first option of Search automatically in the next window
- Windows will now locate and install the latest driver for your Canon printer
- Restart your computer if prompted
Drivers from Canon’s Website
- Browse to the Canon’s official website
- Locate the latest driver for your printer model. Ensure you download the driver version right for your computer, meaning if you have a 32-bit Windows computer, you should download a printer driver that’s meant for 32-bit Windows.
- Save the downloaded file on the computer
- Double-click it to start the installation process and follow the on-screen instructions (if any)
Downloading the printer driver automatically
Outdated drivers can cause serious problems with your PC. With Driver Updater keeping your drivers up to date is very easy. With just a few clicks, you can update all your drivers. A free trial of this Driver Update Tool means you can give it a try without commitment.
Download using the link below and get your Driver problems fixed.