Ethernet Driver Updates
How to manually install Ethernet Drivers
If you are unable to access the Internet, other PCs, or peripheral devices attached to your computer, something might be wrong with your computer’s Ethernet driver.
Serious as it may look, the problem can be resolved easily by downloading and installing the latest Ethernet driver, or network driver, as it may be called.
Before you download and install Ethernet drivers, you must ensure that:
- The error is actually due to issues with the Ethernet driver
- You know the model and make of your Ethernet card
The information about the above is available in the Device Manager window. Let us see how to access this built-in utility and how to get the required information.
Identifying the problem using Device Manager
To open Device Manager on Windows 7 and Windows Vista, perform these steps:
- Click the Windows logo in below left-hand corner of your taskbar
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and press Enter
To open Device Manager on Windows XP, perform these steps:
- Click the Start button in the taskbar
- Click Run
- In the Open dialog box, type devmgmt.msc, and press the OK button
- Once you have opened the Device Manager Window, click Network Adapter to view the installed network, or Ethernet, card. If the Ethernet card on display has a yellow triangle, a question mark, or an exclamation point next to it, the problem may be indeed due to driver-related issues.
- Next, double-click the Ethernet device to open its properties dialog box. Here, click the Details tab and note down the details regarding the installed Ethernet card, such as its model and make number. You can download the correct driver only if you know this information and the version of your Windows operating system.
If, by any chance, you don’t know the details, do the following:
- Click the Windows logo in below left-hand corner of your taskbar if you use Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
- Otherwise, click the Start button, and then Run
- Type winver in the box, and press Enter
Download and install the correct Ethernet Driver
To install the updated Ethernet Driver, do the following:
- Launch Internet Explorer or any other web browser
- Browse to the official website of the manufacturer of the installed Ethernet card. For instance, if you use a Realtek Ethernet card, log-on to Realtek’s official website.
- Locate and download the latest Ethernet driver
- To install the downloaded Ethernet driver, double-click the driver file and do as per the on-screen instructions.
Note: If you are unable to connect your computer to the Internet, download the driver on another connected computer and then copy it to this computer with the help of a pen drive or another storage device.
We recommend you use a reliable, automatic driver update tool, such as Driver Downloader Driver Update Software, and say goodbye to driver related issues forever.