Ethernet Driver Updates
How to manually install Ethernet Drivers
If you are unable to access the Internet, other PCs, or peripheral devices attached to your computer, something might be wrong with your computer’s Ethernet driver.
Serious as it may look, the problem can be resolved easily by downloading and installing the latest Ethernet driver, or network driver, as it may be called.
Before you download and install Ethernet drivers, you must ensure that:
- The error is actually due to issues with the Ethernet driver
- You know the model and make of your Ethernet card
The information about the above is available in the Device Manager window. Let us see how to access this built-in utility and how to get the required information.
Identifying the problem using Device Manager
To open Device Manager on Windows 7 and Windows Vista, perform these steps:
- Click the Windows logo in below left-hand corner of your taskbar
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and press Enter
To open Device Manager on Windows XP, perform these steps:
- Click the Start button in the taskbar
- Click Run
- In the Open dialog box, type devmgmt.msc, and press the OK button
- Once you have opened the Device Manager Window, click Network Adapter to view the installed network, or Ethernet, card. If the Ethernet card on display has a yellow triangle, a question mark, or an exclamation point next to it, the problem may be indeed due to driver-related issues.
- Next, double-click the Ethernet device to open its properties dialog box. Here, click the Details tab and note down the details regarding the installed Ethernet card, such as its model and make number. You can download the correct driver only if you know this information and the version of your Windows operating system.
If, by any chance, you don’t know the details, do the following:
- Click the Windows logo in below left-hand corner of your Taskbar if you use Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
- Otherwise, click the Start button, and then Run
- Type winver in the box, and press Enter
Download and install the correct Ethernet Driver
To install the updated Ethernet Driver, do the following:
- Launch Internet Explorer or any other web browser
- Browse to the official website of the manufacturer of the installed Ethernet card. For instance, if you use a Realtek Ethernet card, log-on to Realtek’s official website.
- Locate and download the latest Ethernet driver
- To install the downloaded Ethernet driver, double-click the driver file and do as per the on-screen instructions.
Note: If you are unable to connect your computer to the Internet, download the driver on another connected computer and then copy it to this computer with the help of a pen drive or another storage device.
James Cavanaugh says
PROBLEM INSTALLING ETHERNET DRIVER
I am a non-technical user looking for assistance:
• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
• Desktop: CyberPower
• Internet Services Provider: Comcast
• Gateway: Xfinity
• GOAL: Install Ethernet control driver
• Description of configuration:
Current network adapters displayed in Device Manager: Linksys WUSB6300. (I am aware that the “Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter also installed/displayed is a development platform that exists only for application developers)
I have read that services via Ethernet cable would be great/higher than the USB Linksys. (True?)
• PROBLEM: Driver will not install. When I attempt to install Realtek driver, the following message occurs: “Realtek Ethernet Controll Driver: The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled, please plug the cable.”
Hi James – when you say you are trying to reinstall the Realtek Driver – what Driver are you trying to install and from where (download/ original cd?)
James Cavanaugh says
I am looking for a driver to handle an Ethernet connection to the Internet. Currently I use a LinksysWUSB6300 wireless driver. The driver I am trying to install is being downloaded.
Hi James – you could run our free Drivers Scan (use the ‘Download’ links in the article above) – this will scan your PC and detail the exact ethernet Drivers you require. If the resulting report lists the same driver as the one you have downloaded then come back to me and I will look into the issue further. However, if the report lists a different Driver, download that one and hopefully it should solve your ethernet issues
Steven Barlow says
Just got a new PC, Ethernet controller driver isn’t installed on it and every driver I have tried hasn’t worked. New PC is a custom built PC and is manufactured by Asus. Windows 7 64bit
Hi guys I do have the same problem about the Ethernet connection driver installation I am not able to install any driver. Can any one tell me were to download a driver for a motherboard name FUJITSU COMPUTER SIEMENS MS-7504. PLEASE HELP
Hi Clover – is it not letting you install a Driver? Have you tried the Fujitsu website?
You see no matter what motherboard you have drivers are difficult to download cos it is sort of scanners and I can not conect to the Internet cos there are no connection.
Hi Clover – if you know the Driver you need you can browse to the Fujitsu site (using another machine that you can connect with) – when you download the Driver file copy it to a memory stick or another external data source – then copy it to the machine with the problem. Not sure what you mean about a scanner?
What I mean by scanner is that some times when you try to download a driver it will download a sort of scanner like *Driver Toolkit* that will tell you what is needed for your system. In order for the scanner to work the system need Internet access which I don’t have without the Ethernet driver.
Hi DriverHelp I understand what you say about download it on a internet conected devices but how would I know which driver is compatible.
Driver Help says
Hi Clover – use the link in the article to the Driver Downloader software – you can run a free drivers scan which will give show you which drivers are missing/ corrupt – you can then use this information to search for the Driver on the manufacturers website
glad to hear it – feel free to follow us on twitter or facebook for more tips and PC help – click on the links here http://www.drivers.com/update/
Well I am going on some other site with a outlook problem now I see you guys actually helping. Thanks for support.
Thanks guys it worked.
Josephine Willis says
Hi ..having similar issues as the poster before me..Vista on an Hp pavilion, 64 bit..realtek drivers and b g 8/11 drivers will not install..I believe to the Best of my ability I uninstalled previous versions,, Issues are: PC will not recognize WiFi, I’m currently hard wired..no sound, as of current driver update and I have no idea what to do..I have researche’d up and down,,any suggestions?
Hi Josephine – was everything ok on this laptop before? Did you upgrade Operating System or install any new software? Have you tested the WiFi on another device?
can any one post the link to download the drivers for network controller of sony vaio f series windows7
How to fix Ethernet driver problems in WINDOWS 10? Please provide me a solution to fix it.
I have no make or model on mine except it is a gateway computer running xp
It was working at school
Now at home i am tryimg yo work and it failed yellow question mark
I have not needed to go to internet with this pc
But now i wish to
Or should i just look on gateway or foogle for basic gateway ethernet card drivers?