Bluetooth allows users to transfer files wirelessly to mobile devices and other computers with Bluetooth functionality. While typically Bluetooth works seamlessly in Windows 10, many users have complained about encountering Bluetooth problems after installing the Windows 10 KB4549951 update. In case you see Bluetooth has disappeared after the Windows update, we’ve got you covered. In this post, we will be discussing several ways to resolve the Bluetooth problem in Windows 10.
Before anything else
There is a possibility the Bluetooth functionality might be actually active but because of some taskbar setting changes, you are not able to see the Bluetooth icon in the Taskbar. So before trying anything else, try these steps as steps to rule out this possibility in your case.
- Press Windows and S keys simultaneously to launch search bar
- Type Bluetooth in the search box
- Select the Bluetooth and other devices settings from the list of results
- In the next window, select Bluetooth and other devices
- In the right hand pane under Related Settings, click More Bluetooth options
- In the Bluetooth Settings window, check the box which says Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area.
- Click Apply > OK
- Close all windows.
Now go to the taskbar notification area and see whether the Bluetooth icon has appeared. If you don’t see any Bluetooth icon in notification area, proceed to Solution One.
Solution One- boot into Safe Mode and then boot in Normal Mode
According to experts, booting Windows in Safe Mode will force the operating system to install Bluetooth drivers. Here we boot Windows in Safe Mode and then boot Windows in Normal Mode. Here are the steps to follow.
- Press Windows + R key combination
- Type msconfig in the Run command window and click OK
- In the next window, click the Boot tab
- Check Safe boot option
- Click Apply and then click OK
- Close all windows and restart your PC. It will reboot in Safe Mode
- Once Windows boots in Safe Mode, the operating system will install all Bluetooth drivers
- Now go to Boot settings again(Repeat 1-3 steps)
- Uncheck the Safe Boot option
- Restart your PC
Now Windows will boot into Normal Mode. Check whether the Bluetooth icon has appeared in Taskbar.
Solution Two- Enable Bluetooth through hardware switch
Most laptops have a dedicated keys combination to switch ON/Off the Bluetooth functionality.
- Dell Laptop – Press the “Fn” key and F2 simultaneously to turn On Bluetooth
Check your laptop documentation to know the key combination. According to experts, the hardware key combination overrides any software settings. So it is always a good idea to enable Bluetooth using a hardware switch in your laptop.
Solution Three – Make sure the Bluetooth is on
There is a possibility the Bluetooth functionality is switched off which has caused the Bluetooth icon to disappear. Here are the steps to turn on Bluetooth.
- Press Windows + I key combination to launch the Settings app.
- In Window Settings, click Devices
- In the left pane, click Bluetooth and other devices
- Check whether the Bluetooth function is OFF. If it is off, click the toggle switch to turn it on.
- Close all windows
If the above solution does not resolve the Bluetooth issue, proceed to the next solution.
Solution Four – Check Bluetooth Support Service
The Bluetooth functionality is dependent on the Bluetooth service. In this solution, you need to ensure the Bluetooth service is running. Here are the steps to follow.
- Press Windows + R keys to launch the Run command box
- In the Run command box, type services.msc and click OK
- In the Services window, right-click Bluetooth Support service and click Start
- Now, double-click the Bluetooth Support service
- In the Properties window, set the Startup type to Automatic
- Click Apply-> OK
- Close all windows
Now check whether Bluetooth functionality is working. If the solution has not worked for you, proceed to the next solution
Solution Five – Run Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a Troubleshooter that can resolve most problems. The operating system comes with a dedicated Bluetooth troubleshooter that could fix the issue. Here are the steps to follow.
- Press Windows key
- Type troubleshooting in Cortana search
- Select Troubleshooting settings
- In the next window, click Troubleshoot in the left pane
- Under the Bluetooth section, click Run the troubleshooter
Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
If the Troubleshooter is not able to fix the issue, proceed to the next solution
Solution Six – Re-enable the Bluetooth driver in Device Manager
- Click Start
- Type Device Manager in the Cortana search
- Select Device Manager from the list of search results
- In the Device Manager window, click Bluetooth Radios to expand the section.
- You will see one or two Bluetooth adapters. Right-click the first Bluetooth adapter and click Disable
- Now right-click the second Bluetooth adapter and click Disable
- Now Right-click the first Bluetooth adapter and click Enable
- Now right-click the second Bluetooth adapter and click Enable
If this solution did not solve the Bluetooth problem, proceed to the next solution.
Solution Seven – Reinstall Bluetooth driver
There is a possibility the Bluetooth driver is corrupt or updated. In this solution, we will uninstall and reinstall the Bluetooth driver that might fix the issue. Here are the steps to follow.
- Open Device Manager
- Go to the Bluetooth section and expand it
- Right-click on Bluetooth adapter and click Uninstall device
- Uninstall all Bluetooth adapters which will cause the Bluetooth section to vanish. It means the Bluetooth is completely uninstalled from your laptop.
- Click View
- Click Show hidden devices
- Click Action and click Scan for hardware changes
- Windows will install default drivers for Bluetooth
A much easier way to update the Bluetooth driver is by using DriverDownloader. It is a driver update tool par excellence and will update not only the Bluetooth driver but other outdated drivers in less than two winks. Since the tool comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, there’s no harm in trying it. All you’ve to do is download DriverDownloader, install it, and register yourself.
Here’s the link to download DriverDownloader.