If you notice a yellow exclamation mark beside Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller, it means only one thing – your device driver is installed improperly. When this happens, your Windows computer will not be able to recognize the USB device.
For sure, this is not a very pleasant situation. But thankfully, it’s not one that you can’t fix quickly. In this post, we’ve listed two solutions to this problem. You can try either first.
Solution 1 – Uninstall the Device Driver
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- In the Device Manager window, right-click Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller and then select Uninstall
- You may get a message asking you to confirm your action. If you do, select the box before Delete the driver software for this device. Then click OK
- Reboot Windows and now check whether the device driver is now installed correctly
Solution 2 – Update the Chipset Driver
You can update the chipset driver manually or automatically.
To update it manually, note down your PC model as well as your operating system version.
The PC model will be listed on your PC, while you can find the version of Windows you are using by performing these steps:
- Click Start > Settings > System > About
- Under Device specifications > System type, check the version you are running – 32 bit or 64 bit
Once you have the relevant information, go to your PC manufacturer’s website and then download the latest drivers. Make sure you download a chipset driver that’s appropriate for you version of Windows. That is, if you use 32-bit Windows, download the latest chipset driver for 32-bit PCs. Likewise, users with 64-Windows should go for a driver meant for 64-bit.
If you don’t have the time, expertise, or inclination to perform all these steps, consider using DriverDownloader to automatically update the chipset driver.
DriverDownloader is an advanced driver update tool that will update all your outdated device drivers in a heartbeat. All you have to do is install and register it. Registered users can contact customer support if they need help with the software. And in case the software doesn’t live up to your expectations, you can get a full refund by returning it within 30 days of the purchase, no questions asked.
Here’s the link to download DriverDownloader