Can’t hear when you play YouTube videos?
If yes, then this post will help you fix the problem.
YouTube is a popular video streaming website. Millions of people worldwide use it every day.
Sometimes when you play videos, there’s no sound. This is a common issue.
We have provided 5 solutions that can fix the no sound on YouTube issue.
You need not try all of them, just start with the first solution and if it does not work for you, move on to the next solution and so on.
Solution 1 – Check volume settings
There is always the possibility you have muted sound for YouTube video.
In that case, even if you open other YouTube videos, the new video will also be muted.
Check the speaker icon that appears at the bottom left corner of the video player.
See if you can see “\” sign on the speaker icon. If yes, click the speaker icon to unmute the YouTube video.
If this solution does not work for you, move to the next solution.
Solution 2 – Use a different browser
There is a possibility that there is some problem with your browser.
To rule out this possibility, try opening the YouTube video link in another browser.
For instance, if you use Google Chrome, use Firefox to play YouTube video.
If you can hear sound when you play the YouTube video in another browser, you can conclude the problem lies in the first browser you used.
You may be able to fix the issue by updating the first browser.
If you cannot hear sound on YouTube on another browser also, move to the next solution.
Solution 3 – Check the sound settings for browser and Flash plugin
Do you know your browser also has sound settings?
If the browser sound is muted, you will not be able to sound from any multimedia tab.
Here are the tabs to check the sound settings of browser and Flash player.
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray(bottom right corner of the desktop)
- Click Volume mixer
- Make sure the volume control slider for the browser and plugins is not at a lower level
- Also, check there is no “\” sign on the speaker icon for browser and Flash plugin
If everything seems ok in sound settings and you still cannot hear sound on YouTube, move to next solution.
Solution 4 – Uninstall Adobe Flash Player and install its latest version
Many users were able to resolve the no sound on YouTube issue by uninstalling the Adobe flash player and installing the latest version of Adobe flash player.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Click the Start button
- Click Control Panel
- Make sure the View by is set to small icons
- Click Programs and features
- In the list of installed programs, locate Adobe Flash player
- Right-click on Adobe flash player and click Uninstall
- Wait for the un-installation to complete
- Open browser
- Go to Adobe Flash player download link
- Under Optional offers, uncheck the options for McAfee Security Scan Plus and McAfee Safe Connect
- Click Install now
- You will see an exe file is downloaded to your computer
- Navigate to the folder where the Adobe flash player setup file is downloaded and double-click on it
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Adobe flash player.
- After installing the latest Adobe flash player, restart the browser
Now try playing the YouTube video in the browser. If you are still experiencing no sound on YouTube, move to next solution.
Solution 5 – Update Sound Drivers
You cannot ignore the possibility of corrupt or missing sound drivers behind the no sound on YouTube issue.
In that case, updating the sound driver is the easiest solution available to resolve the issue.
There are two ways to update sound drivers – Manual update and Automatic update.
Here we have provided instructions for both methods to update sound drivers.
Method 1 – Updating sound drivers manually
- Click the Start button
- Press the Windows logo button and R simultaneously on the keyboard to invoke Run command box
- In Run command, type devmgmt.msc and click OK
- In the Device Manager window, go to Sound, video and game controllers category and expand it
- Go to the audio device for which you want to update driver
- Right-click on audio device and click Update driver software
- In the Update Driver software dialog, select search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow-on screen instructions to update sound drivers.
Updating Realtek sound drivers
A large number of motherboard manufacturers use Realtek sound chip on their motherboards.
If your computer also has a Realtek chip, you can download and install the latest sound drivers from the Realtek website.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Go to Realtek sound drivers link
- Download the right sound drivers for your computer. Pay attention to Windows version and system architecture(32-bit/64-bit)
- If the driver’s file is in exe format, you can double-click on the exe file to install sound drivers. If the driver’s file is in zip format, you need to unzip the contents to one folder and then double-click on the exe file in the folder.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install sound drivers
- Restart your computer
Now try playing YouTube videos in the browser.
In most cases, the no sound on YouTube issue would be resolved by one of the solutions given above.
If you find the manual sound driver update method difficult, you can use a driver update software tool to update the sound driver automatically.
Method 2 – Updating sound drivers automatically
The easiest, fastest, and most convenient way to update drivers is by using a driver update software tool.
We recommend you use DriverDownloader.
It is fast, reliable, and very easy to use. Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. This means you can get your money back if you don’t like the software (but mind, chances of this happening is remote).
Just click the green button below to download DriverDownloader.