Are you getting an error message “NVIDIA Display settings are not available” when you open NVIDIA control panel?
The error means your display is not connected to NVIDIA GPU. Let’s look at the problem in detail and the solutions to fix the issue.
What does “NVIDIA Display settings are not available” error mean to you?
If you are an avid gamer, the above message means you will not be able to play games at higher FPS settings. In most cases, the games would run below 15 fps while you might want 70 to 100fps. This is possible only when you are able to access NVIDIA display settings. Now let’s look at the solutions to resolve the issue.
Here we have presented 4 solutions to fix the issue. You don’t need to try all the solutions. You can start with the first solution, and if it does not work for you, move to the next solution and so on.
Solution One – Check the display connection
Connecting the display to wrong port is one of the reasons behind “NVIDIA Display settings are not available” error. If you are a desktop user, you would have two display ports to connect the display cable. You can connect the display to integrated display port of the motherboard or the display port of your NVIDIA graphics card.
The right port in your case is display port of your NVIDIA graphics hardware. Connect the display to the discrete port of your NVIDIA graphics card to fix the issue. If you are still getting the error after connecting to the right port, move to the next solution.
Solution Two- Check NVIDIA Display Driver Service
The NVIDIA display driver service is a software component that communicates with your NVIDIA graphics hardware. If the NVIDIA display driver service is not running on your computer, you can get “NVIDIA Display settings are not available” error.
By default, the NVIDIA display driver service is set to start automatically every time you start the computer. If the service is not running, your computer will not detect NVIDIA graphics hardware.
Here are the steps to fix the problem.
- Press Windows logo key and R simultaneously on your computer to bring up the Run command console
- In Run command box, type services.msc and press Enter on the keyboard
- In the Services window, locate NVIDIA Display Driver Service and right-click on it
- <insert-nvidia settings not avlbl-nvidia display driver service>
- Select Properties from the menu
- In the Properties window, go to the General tab
- In Startup type, check the option (it should be Automatic). If any other option is selected, click the downward arrow and select Automatic from the list
- If the Service Status is Stopped, click Start
- Click Apply and then Click OK
- Close all windows
Check whether the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, you need to move to the next solution,
Solution Three- Uninstall and Reinstall NVIDIA graphic drivers
There is a possibility NVIDIA graphic drivers are corrupt. Uninstalling and reinstalling graphic card drivers are a simple solution to this problem. Here are the steps you need to follow. To perform these steps you need to boot into Safe Mode.
- Boot your computer into Safe Mode
- Click Start -> Control Panel
- Click Programs and Features
- Right-click VIDIA Windows Display Drivers from the list of programs
- Click Uninstall
- Confirm with Windows that you wish to continue with the install
- A prompt appears that asks whether you want to keep or delete saved nView profiles. Select Yes to keep profiles and No to delete profiles
- Wait for the uninstallation operation to complete
- When NVIDIA drivers are uninstalled, Windows will prompt you to restart the computer
- After rebooting the PC, open browser and go to nvidia.com to download the latest graphics driver for the graphics card.
- Double-click on the driver setup file you downloaded and follow-on screen instructions to install NVIDIA graphics drivers.
- Now try to open NVIDIA control panel and access graphic settings.
If you still get “NVIDIA Display settings are not available” error, move to next solution.
Solution four – Update drivers
Outdated or corrupt drivers can cause many problems, including this error. That’s why you should always ensure your drivers are up to date. The easiest way to do this is by installing and running a reputable and quick driver update tool like DriverDownloader.
This tool is easy to install and run. To get automatic driver updates, you’ll need to register the software, but you can run it for free after downloading. When you run it, you’ll get a driver report, which will tell you the number of drivers that needs to be updated, among other things. If you choose to register DriverDownloader, you will get customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Step 1 – Download Process
Click the green button below to download the tool.
Step 2 – Click Run or Save
You’ll see the following message appear on your screen. Alternately it might appear as a popup window.
In case you click run, you should directly jump to the step 3. Users who choose to click ‘save’ will first need to go to the Downloads folder, locate the driver_downloader.exe file and double-click.
Step 3 – Install the software
Simply click install and follow on-screen instructions.
Step 4 – Click to register and get automatic Driver updates
Register the software to enjoy automatic driver updates