Kodi is a free and open-source media player available for different hardware platforms and operating systems.
It is designed to look great on your big screen TV, but it also looks equally good on small home screens too.
The media player streams content from the Internet and offers users’ fantastic viewing experience.
The Kodi player is updated regularly to fix bug and offer improvements.
In this post, we will look at the methods of updating Kodi on different platforms.
Here you will learn about steps to update Kodi on Windows, MacOS, FireStick, Android, and iOS devices.
How to update Kodi Player on Windows?
If you are using Windows 10 operating system, you can update Kodi in three different ways.
You don’t need to use every method but can select the one that looks simplest and easiest to you.
Method One- Updating Kodi from Official website
- Open Kodi official website in your Internet browser
- Scroll down the home page and click Windows icon
On the pop-up dialog, you get three options- Windows Store, 32-bit installer, and 64-bit installer
(Note- if you have 64-bit Windows 10 OS, you can download the 32-bit installer or 64-bit installer. However, if you have 32-bit Windows 10 OS, the only 32-bit installer will work for you)
- Select the right Kodi installer
- After you click the right Kodi installer, the download starts automatically.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- Double-click on the downloaded setup file to install Kodi
- When you are prompted for confirmation, click Yes
- In the first screen of Kodi setup, click Next
- In the License Agreement screen, click I Agree
- In the Choose Components screen, check the components you want to install. The components are selected by default and you do not have to make any changes.
- Click Next in Choose Components screen
- By default, Kodi player is installed in the C Drive programs folder. If you want to install it in another location, click Browser and choose the installation path
- Click Next
- If you do not want any shortcuts for Kodi( Start menu, Desktop shortcuts), uncheck the box- Do not create shortcuts.
- Click Install
- Wait for the installation process to complete. When you see the Completing Kodi setup screen, click Finish
Now you can launch Kodi player and stream content from the Internet
Method Two – Update Kodi Player from Microsoft Store
Latest Kodi Player is available in the Microsoft app store, and you can update/install it directly from Microsoft store.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Open Microsoft Store app on your Windows PC
- Type Kodi in the search box and hit Enter on the keyboard
- Select Kodi and click Get to install latest Kodi player on your Windows PC
- Wait for the download to complete
- After Kodi is installed on your computer, you will see a Launch button, click on it
- Now you can stream content from the Internet and watch it on Kodi player
Method Three- Update Kodi from its repository
Kodi can be also updated from within the application(from its repository). Here are the steps to follow.
- Launch Kodi on your PC
- Click Add-ons and then click Package icon that appears on the left
- Click Install from repository
- In the next window, you will see a list of repositories. Click Kodi add-on repository
- Click Program add-ons
- In the next window, click Kodi windows installer from the list
- Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Install
After downloading Kodi’s windows installer, you need to perform a few steps to update the Kodi player to its latest version.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Click Esc or Backspace key on the keyboard to go back to Kodi player homepage
- Click Add-ons
- Click Program add-ons
- Click Kodi Windows installer
In the pop-up window, select the latest Kodi player version that is Kodi 17.6.
Now Kodi will start downloading the latest version of Kodi player
How to update Kodi Player on MacOS?
The steps to update Kodi player on MacOS are quite easy.
All you have to do is follow the steps given below.
You do not have to make any changes to settings after updating Kodi player, as the settings and user data are stored in a separate folder named UserData.
Now let’s look at the steps to update Kodi player on MacOS.
- Launch an Internet browser and go to the official website of Kodi
- Scroll down the home page and click MacOS icon
In the next page, click Installer(64-bit)
- The download starts automatically. Wait for the download to complete
- Open the package file
- Follow the on-screen wizard instructions to complete the installation
After the latest Kodi player is installed, open Kodi player and enjoy content from the Internet.
How to update Kodi Player on FireStick?
You can update Kodi player on FireStick in two different ways.
You are free to follow any method listed below.
Method One – Use Downloader App on your FireStick to update Kodi Player
- On your FireStick, go to Home Screen and then scroll to Settings
- Scroll to the right and then select Device
- Scroll down and select Developer options
- Select Apps from Unknown Sources and turn the option ON
- Select ADB debugging and turn the option ON
- Go back to Preference and select Advertising ID
- Select Interest-based Ads and turn OFF the option
- Go back to Home Screen and select the Search button
- Type downloader in search box
<insert-update Kodi-type downloader>
- From the list of results, select Downloader and click Install option
- The Downloader app will now be installed on your FireStick
- Open Downloader app on your FireStick
- Type http://bit.ly/kodi174 in the search box and click Go
- The Downloader app will now download Kodi Player’s latest version on FireStick
- After the downloading of Kodi player is completed, click Install option that appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Wait for the installation process to complete, you will see a message App installed appear on the screen and Kodi app icon
- Click Kodi app icon to launch the player
Method Two- Use ES Explorer app to update Kodi player on FireStick
- On your FireStick, go to Home Screen and then go to Main Menu-> Search
- Type ES File Explorer in Search box
Note – If you don’t have ES File Explorer app installed on your FireStick, you will get install option to install ES File Explorer.
- Select Tools and then select Download Manager
- Select New+ that appears at the bottom of the screen
- Type the following address in the box http://bit.ly/Kodi-17_6-Krypton-APK and click OK
- Enter a name for the path. For example – type Kodi 17.6
- Select Download now.
- The download will start automatically and latest Kodi player version will be downloaded on your FireStick
- After the file is downloaded, select Open File to install the latest version of Kodi player on your FireStick
After Kodi player is installed, you can use it to stream content from the Internet
How to update Kodi Player on Android Device?
You can update Kodi player to the latest version on Android in two different ways.
Here we have given detailed steps for both methods, and you are free to follow any method you prefer.
Method One – Update Kodi Player through Google Play Store
- Launch the Google Play Store app on your Android device
- Sign in your Google Play account
- Type Kodi is a search box and you will see Kodi player is listed in the search result
- Select Kodi Player from the list of search results
- If you have Kodi installed on your Android device, you will have an update option. Select update option to update Kodi player to the latest version
- If you do not have Kodi installed on your Android device, you will have an install option. Select Install option to install the latest version of Kodi player
After installing/updating Kodi player, open Kodi player and enjoy audio and video content from the Internet.
Method Two- Download APK from the official website to update Kodi Player
- Launch the Internet browser on your Android device and go to the official website of Kodi
- Scroll down the home page and click Android icon
- In the next pop-up dialog, you can see three options Google Play, ARMV7A(32-bit) and ARMV8A(64-bit)
Note-You can find whether your Android device is running 32-bit or 64-bit OS by checking the Kernel version.
- Open Settings on your Android device
- Go to Settings-> About Phone-> Software Information-> Kernel version
- After you have found the bit architecture of Android OS on your device, select the ARM installer accordingly
- After selecting the right ARM apk installer, the download starts immediately. Wait for the download to complete
- Click the downloaded .apk file and follow on-screen instructions to install latest Kodi player on your Android device
After installing Kodi player on your Android device, you can enjoy audio and video content streamed from the Internet on your Android device.
How to update Kodi Player on iOS Device?
Earlier it was difficult to install or update Kodi player on iOS devices like iPad or iPhone.
However, now the procedure is quite simple.
Here are the steps to follow
Note- you will need a Mac or Windows PC/laptop and USB cable to follow this method
- You need to download Cydia Impactor on your Windows computer or Mac. Click the link to go to website
- If you are using Windows, click Windows link on the page. If you are using Mac click Mac link on the page
- In the next page, click Download now. This will download Kodi 17.6 IPA on your Mac or computer
- Connect your iOS device to Mac or computer through USB cable
- Create a new folder on your computer or Mac and move the Cydia Impactor to this new folder
- Click the Impactor.exe to run the program
- Drag and drop the Kodi 17.6 IPA file in the Cydia Impactor program
- Enter your Apple ID when prompted
- Now you can see the latest version of Kodi player is installed on your computer
After Kodi player is installed, you can enjoy audio and video content on the player