The HP Officejet 6500a is an all-in-one printer, copier and scanner. It comes with many advanced features that make it one of the top options in this category. For small office and home printing needs, this device is more than sufficient.
With duplex printing and Wi-Fi connectivity features, the HP Officejet 6500a is nothing short of a workhorse. It is common for users to not keep the installation disc after installing a printer, and what is more, many new devices come without disc drives. Therefore, you might struggle to add the HP Officejet 6500a printer without the installation disc, but do not worry because we have you covered.
Even if you do not have the installation disc that was included with your printer, it is possible to install the device drivers as well as other software with the help of the steps mentioned in this post. But keep in mind you will require internet connectivity. That is because you need to download the drivers and software from HP website. That said, if the device on which you want install the software and drivers does not have internet connectivity, you can download the files on another device, transfer them to a USB drive, and then copy them to your first device.
How to Install Officejet 6500a Software and Drivers from Internet
All printer manufacturers, including HP, provide the drivers and software for their devices on their support website. Keep in mind that if you have an older model printer, it is important that you regularly update the software with new security patches to ensure its smooth functioning.
Downloading the Software from HP Support Website
The first thing you need to do is visit the HP support site. Then, you must locate the latest drivers for your printer model. HP has different websites for various regions, so the best thing would be to use Google for finding support pages meant for your location.
- Launch a web browser, type HP 6500a Support in the search bar, and then press the Enter key
- Most likely the first search result should be the link to the relevant support website. Click the link.
- You will be taken to the exact support webpage for the HP 6500a printer. You will find the latest software, product updates, and printer diagnostic tool on this page.
- Browse through the list to see all available downloads
- Next, decide the software that you need. Apart from the Basic Drivers package, HP offers a Special Edition Full Feature Software.
To know the contents of a software package, simply click on it. For example, with the Special Edition Software (Full Feature), you get optional software in addition to the all the drivers for your printer. On the other hand, the Basic package only includes the relevant driver for the HP 6500a printer.
Note: The HP Support website also allows you to download Universal Fax driver, which is a firmware update related to HP printer as well as HP ePrint software. A Utility Diagnostic Tool is also there that can help you in troubleshooting issues or errors.
- HP recommends users to download the Special Edition Full Feature, but if you want, you can select the Basic Driver package. In this guide, we will be using the Special Edition Full Feature. Click the Download link that appears on the screen to start the download process.
- After you have clicked the link, you will be taken to the download page and you can see where the file has been stored on your device.
- Let the download process complete. Once the file has been completely downloaded, click the Up Arrow and select Show in Folder
- Now you can start installing the software
How to Install HP Officejet 6500a Printer Software
- First, double-click the downloaded file
- Most likely a security warning message will pop up on your screen. That is because you have downloaded the software file from Internet. Click the Run button since you know this is a safe file. This will launch the installer
- Wait till the package is completely extracted. You can see the progress on your screen
- A prompt message will pop up on your screen once the package has been completely extracted. The message will tell you to click Allow in case you Windows shows any security prompts while the installation is in progress
- Before you proceed with installation, it is necessary to choose the software that you want to be included. If you want, you can click the Next button straightaway to install all included software. That said, it is better select only those applications that you need. This you can do by clicking the Customize Software Selections button
- If you have chosen to customize software selection, in the next window unselect software programs that you do not need before you click next
- Click the Next button
- In the next screen, you will see various agreements. Although you have the option of not selecting the 6500 as your default printer, to move ahead with the installation you must accept the agreements.
- Click the Next button
- Wait for the installation to complete
- Choose what type of connection you wish to use. Your options include USB, wired network, or Wi-Fi. After you have picked your option, click the Next button
You must turn the 6500a printer on and ensure it is connected to LAN or Wi-Fi or directly to your computer through a USB cable before you click next.
Important: In case you choose to connect the printer using a USB cable, you will see a prompt message that says some services will not be available. You must connect the printer either via LAN or Wi-Fi to use those services.
- Click the Yes button if you do not want these services
That is it! Now you can use your 6500a printer with your PC.
Use Driver Update Software to avoid Manual Software Installation
An easy way to give these issues a pass is by using DriverDownloader for managing printers and other device drivers. DriverDownloader updates all your device drivers with a few clicks.
Here is the link to download DriverDownloader
Leave a Reply