Many Window users who upgraded to Windows 10 faced a peculiar problem related the external hard drive. They noticed that the external hard drive was not being recognized or working properly in Windows 10, even though there were no such problems in the earlier Windows OS.
Typically this problem occurs when the driver software is either broken or outdated.
If you are encountering “external hard drive not showing up Windows 10” issue, we recommend you try these solutions.
Run Hardware Troubleshooter
This is the first thing you need to do. Here are the steps to follow.
- Press the Windows icon in the taskbar and then type “troubleshooting” in the search box
- Now click “Configure a device”
- You need to click Next in the pop up window that opens up and follow onscreen instructions
It is possible that the hardware troubleshooter may not resolve the issue. If that happens, don’t panic. In such a scenario, chances are updating the driver will do the trick.
Update Device Driver
Windows come with a utility called Device Manager that allows you to update device drivers. However, the manual update process requires some technical knowledge. It can also take some time. For these reasons, many people prefer to use a driver update tool. With such a tool, drivers can be updated with a click.
We’ve provided both the methods below.
Update the Driver Using Device Manager
Here are the steps to follow.
- Press Win + R
- In the run box, type devmgmt.msc
- Browse through the list until you locate your external hard drive, right-click it and select Update Driver Software
- Now click Search automatically… (the first option you see) and then click Next
- Follow onscreen instructions, if any
- Restart Windows after installation is complete
Update the Driver Using DriverDownloader
There are many driver update tools, but DriverDownloader is cut above the rest. It can update your external hard drive driver in a jiffy.
Just click the green button to download the software.
Once you’ve downloaded DriverDownloader, install and register it. Now you’ll get automatic driver updates.
This software has 30-day money-back guarantee in place. So you can try it without any fear. Keeping device drivers updated helps you not only avoid and fix errors such as this but also improve Windows performance. Registered users can also contact customer support in case they have a query or are facing a problem related to the driver update software.