Updating your windows operating system is of utmost importance in order to get optimal performance from your PC. There are different ways of keeping your Windows 7 updated at all times, the easiest way is by keeping the Automatic Update option on.
With this option activated, you won’t have to worry about installing the latest and critical updates for Windows 7 manually. To check whether the automatic update option is on, follow the steps set out below:
- Click “Start” button
- In the search box, type “update“
- In the list of search results, click “windows update“
- The window that opens tells you the status of Windows update. If the automatic update option is not on, follow the steps given below to activate the option
- In the left panel, click Change Settings
- Under Important updates, choose the option “install updates automatically (recommended)” to turn on automatic update
You can also specify the day of the week and the time when you want Windows 7 to check and download updates. Always select a time window when you will not be using Internet, as the update process may affect your browsing speed to some extent.
Other Windows update options you have are:
- Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
- Check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them
- Never check for update (not recommended)
Types of windows updates and what do they mean
Microsoft distinguishes operating system updates into three categories – Important updates, recommended updates and optional updates
- Important updates – you need to always download and install all important updates
- Recommended updates– you can choose to install or ignore installation of these update. These updates are targeted to improve the performance of your system
- Optional updates– you can choose to ignore these updates
When you choose to keep the automatic update option on, Windows 7 will download and install all important and recommended updates automatically. Optional updates, on the other hand, are not downloaded and installed automatically.
Windows 7 drivers update
Windows also provides Driver Updates for various devices. You should always keep the device drivers updated to get optimal performance from devices attached to your computer.
The Windows Operating System updates and drivers update are provided to improve performance and user experience. Therefore, you should always ensure the operating system is updated at all times. Having said that, sometimes Windows may not be able to locate the latest Driver of a particular device. In these cases, downloading a driver update tool is often very helpful.