Dell is a top PC brand known for its high quality. To ensure your Dell computer stays secure and performs well, it is crucial to keep the software updated. Dell regularly releases important software updates that can optimize your computer’s performance.
We have put together this guide to help you learn everything you need to know about how to update Dell software and why it is important for you regularly update device drivers.
Dell Update – An Introduction
Dell computers include a program called Dell Update which allows the device to receive software updates. Dell Update allows Dell users to manage many crucial updates they need to keep their computer in peak condition and install the newest security patches.
Can Dell Update help you update your device drivers automatically?
Well, not necessarily. However, Dell Update offers you a way to get some updated automatically.
Keep in mind Dell Update is not going to detect all types of important updates. For this reason, it is a good idea to augment your PC with more robust software.
How Can You Check for Dell Updates?
Here are the steps you need to perform to check for Dell updates.
- Open the Dell Support page
- Enter your PC details
- From the list of details, select those you want to install
As you can see, manually downloading and installing updates can be time-consuming and a bit tedious, particularly if you want to install many updates. Moreover, you must figure out on your own which updates you need and will have to check for updates on a regular basis.
With a proprietary tool such as Dell Update, it is possible to customize the settings. Doing so allows you accept only critical or recommended updates.
Dell Update gives you the freedom to select only those updates that you need or want. Plus you can choose which segments you want to receive update notifications for.
Even though it is generally a good idea to download all the recommended updates, you can opt to install only those updates that are critical. However, one update type that you shouldn’t ignore is driver updates.
How Can I Install Dell Drivers?
Device drivers allow you to unlock the functionalities of hardware. Without the right driver, a hardware piece, like a printer, won’t run properly. It’s not just missing drivers that can cause problems; outdated drivers can create many issues as well. They can lead to performance-related issues and can also prove to be a security risk. For these reasons, it is important you keep drivers up-to-date at all times.
This brings us to the all-important question:
How can you update device drivers?
The easiest way to update drivers is by using a reliable driver update tool. What’s wrong with updating drivers manually?
Well, there’s nothing wrong with updating drivers manually, but many users might find the process too technical, even lengthy. On the other hand, a driver update tool, such as Driver Updater, can update all your device drivers with a few mouse clicks.
All the same, we are listing the steps for both methods, so that you can pick the one with which you are more comfortable.
Updating device drivers manually
Windows computers come with a built-in utility called the Device Manager that allows you to update drivers (and do a lot of other things).
Here’s how you can use the Device Manager utility to manually update drivers.
- Click the Start button and type Device Manager in the start search box
- Click Device Manager in the list of search results
- Expand the hardware device whose driver you want to update (e.g. if you want to update the video graphics card driver, expand the entry “Sound, video, and game controllers)
- Right-click your hardware device and click Update Driver Software
- In the next window, you will see two options. In most cases, you should select the first option “Search automatically for updated driver software.” Now Windows will automatically search for the right driver on your computer and the internet
- Follow the screen prompts
- If asked, restart your computer after installing the right driver
Repeat the steps for each device whose driver you need to update.
How to update drivers automatically
Automatic driver update tools offer many benefits, the most important ones being:
- You can update device drivers automatically
- The software scans and updates all outdated or missing drivers at one go
- The tool picks the right drivers for your device and operating system, so you won’t have to worry about installing an incorrect driver by mistake
- Automatic driver updates are 100% safe
Driver Updater is one of the best driver update tools out there. Outbyte Driver Updater will give you access to a database of over 1 million drivers. It will regularly scan your PC, suggesting new driver versions to install. Driver Updater contains drivers for a variety of Windows devices. With just one click, you can update drivers in your system.
Scan all devices
Install or update drivers automatically