Atheros AR5009 Wi-Fi Adapter is a built-in component whose Drivers come pre-installed on your laptop. Sometimes the Network Drivers may become corrupted in which case your laptop may not be able to connect to a Wireless Network. To help you with issues related to this Adapter, we have set out a few common errors and their solutions.
Solution for connectivity issues related to Atheros AR5009 Wi-Fi Adapter
An inability to connect to a specific Wi-Fi Network is one of the more common issues you may experience with internal Wi-Fi Adapters. The most common reason for this error is corrupted, missing, or out of date Drivers. Before proceeding to updating Drivers, you need to ensure the problem is not with your Router. If you have more than one Wireless Network available, you need to change the Broadcast Frequency of your Router.
Steps to change Broadcast frequency of your Router:
- Type Router IP Address in the address bar of browser(Note: Every router has a specific IP address which is used to access its settings page. For example, the IP address for Belkin routers is 192.168.2.1 while TP-Link routers have 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Every router manufacturer specifies an IP address(S) to access the router settings page. You will find this information in the router’s manual)
- Enter username and password and go to Wireless Settings
- Look for Channel/Standard Channel in Wireless settings and select 1 or 11 from the drop down list. Don’t select 6 as majority of the router manufacturers use it as the default broadcast channel.
- Click Save and try connecting to the Wi-Fi network.
Next step is to confirm if there is some problem with your Wi-Fi adapter. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Start -> Control Panel
- Go to Hardware and Sound
- Under Device and Printers, click Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, click “+” to expand Network Adapters. You will see an entry for Atheros AR5009 Wi-Fi adapter.
- Right-click “Atheros AR5009 Wi-Fi adapter” to view its Properties
If you see a yellow exclamation mark near the device name, it means the problem is related to Drivers. To resolve the issue, you will be required to update and install compatible Wi-Fi Adapter Drivers for your Windows system.
Many users can get latest Drivers for Atheros AR5009 from their manufacturer website, if you prefer an automatic install and automatic Driver updates, click here to go to our Download Network Drivers page, from there you can download the Driver Update Tool.
Steps to update Wi-Fi Adapter Drivers
- In Device Manger window, click “+” sign to expand Network Adapters
- Right-click Atheros AR5009 entry in the list
- Click Update Drivers
- On the first Driver Update Wizard screen, select “Browse my computer for driver software”
- On next screen, click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
- On next screen, you will see Atheros AR5009 WiFi Adapter listed. Select “Have Disk”
- In Install from Disk window, click “Browse” button and select the drive/folder where the Drivers are located.
- Select the Driver file in the folder and click “Open”
- The Driver Update Wizard brings you back to the Install from Disk window
- Click “Ok” to start the Driver installation process.
If you find manual downloading and installing Drivers a difficult process, use a driver update tool