With the release of Xbox One X, the era of 4K gaming has finally arrived. Xbox users who are buying the new gaming console will of course want to transfer their old games to the new gaming console. Below is the procedure to get your old games onto the Xbox One X gaming console.
Step 1 – Download Xbox One X patches for old games
If you are planning to load old games on Xbox One X, you will need patches, without them you won’t be able to run these games. By default, your old Xbox console won’t download any patches for old games. So you have to do it manually. Below is the method to do this.
- Press the central Xbox button to launch the sidebar menu
- Scroll down and select Settings
- In the next screen, select System > Backup and Transfer
- You will see an option “Download 4K game content“- check the box to select this option
- Go back to the System menu and select Updates
- Check the box – Keep my games and apps up to date
Now you have all old games updated and waiting in the wings, ready to be transferred to the Xbox One X console.
Step 2 – Transferring the games
There are two ways to do this.
Step 2a- Transferring old games using an external hard drive
For this method, you will need an external drive of large capacity, depending on the number of games to be transferred. Remember, the capacity of the new Xbox One X is limited, just around 1TB.
Note: You will lose all data stored on the external hard drive when you copy games from the old Xbox console.
- Plug in the hard drive to the Xbox USB port
- Confirm that you are ready to format the hard drive prior to transfer
- Go to Settings menu and then select Storage
- Select Internal > Transfer
- Select the games you want to transfer
- Select Copy to start the transfer
Copying games is not enough, you also need to backup the settings of the console. Here is how to do this
- Go to the Home screen
- Open the Settings menu
- Select System > Backup and Transfer > Backup to device
Step 2b- Transferring old games over the local network
- Connect the old Xbox console and new Xbox One X console to the router; it’s good if they are connected through Ethernet cables.
- Both gaming consoles need to be turned on
- On the old Xbox console, open the Settings menu and then select System > Backup and Transfer
- Select the Network Transfer option and check the box – “Allow network transfer“
- Plug the Xbox One X console to HDTV
- Run the initial setup process and log into your Xbox Live account
- Go to Backup and Transfer Here you should see your old Xbox console listed. You can also see the content (game titles) ready for transfer
- Select the game titles you want to transfer
- Select Copy Selected to start the transfer of the old games to the new Xbox One X console.
Leave a Reply