Windows 8.1 has several useful hidden features and we have compiled a list of the top 5 features we think will make your life a bit easier while working on a PC running Windows 8.1.
Broadband tethering in Windows 8.1
We all are used to converting our mobile device into a hotspot to share the internet connection. Windows 8.1 has several mobility features but not many users know that you can share your broadband connection easily with up to 10 devices. Below are the steps you need to follow in order to do this:
- Bring up the Charms bar and type Settings in Search
- Click PC Settings
- Go to Network > Connections
- Select your mobile network from the list
- Slide the Share this connection option to on position
Secret Desktop customizations
The desktop in Windows 8.1 can be highly customized to suit your needs. To see different the options in desktop customizations, follow the steps set out below:
- Go to Desktop
- Right-click Taskbar and select Properties
- Go to the Navigation tab
- Here you will find the different customizations like actions for corner navigations and a few Start screen optimizations. Some of the important customization worth mentioning are:
- Bring up the charms bar when the mouse pointer is moved to the right-hand corner of the screen
- Switch between recent apps by clicking at left-hand corner of the screen
- All you have to do is read the customization actions carefully and tick the box beside the ones you wish to apply
Quicker Desktop shutdown in Windows 8.1
Until now you probably only used the option in the Charms bar to shut down the system. However, you can also shut down the PC without going through the Charms bar option.
To shut down the system from the desktop, right-click the Start button. It brings out a hidden Power Menu that gives you many options like Sign Out, Sleep, Shutdown, and Restart.
Quiet hours in Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 behaves like a mobile in several ways, especially in the way it displays notifications. Though quite useful, this feature can be annoying at times. You can shut down notifications from an app completely or you can prevent the display of notifications for a specific period. To set Quiet hours, follow the steps set out below:
- Bring up the Charms bar and type Settings in the search box
- Select Change PC Settings > Search and apps > Notifications
- Scroll down and set the Quiet hours for the PC
Windows 8.1 batch editing of apps
To delete or resize apps, you probably select them individually. This can be frustrating when you want to delete or resize several live app tiles. However, you may not be aware that Windows 8.1 has a batch editing app tool. To resize or delete several app tiles at once, follow the steps set out below:
- Right-click on an empty part of the Start Screen
- Select Customize in the bar that appears in the lower part of the screen
- Now you can select any number apps for batch editing or removal
- After selecting, select the desired action you want to perform – Uninstall, Resize, Turn live screen off or Unpin from Start Menu
Feel free to post any other useful features you have found in the comments section below.