“HP printer won’t print black” is a common problem users face while using HP printers. The problem can occur because of many reasons. In order to find the right solution, you need to find the exact cause of the problem. This is where we can help! The best way to get to the root of the problem is to eliminate all the possible causes one by one.
Step 1- Check the ink level of black ink cartridge
Most HP printers have LCD touchscreen panels that allow you to check ink levels. Use the control panel to navigate to the option “Ink Levels”. The steps to check ink level might differ with each model so check the documentation supplied with the printer first.
Step 2 – Remove the plastic tape on the new cartridge
Often users install a new black ink cartridge but forget to remove the protective plastic tape. This is a pretty easy mistake to make so do double-check! Remove the black ink cartridge and peel off the protective tape.
If you are using an old print cartridge, follow the troubleshooting steps given below.
Step 4- Clean the cartridge
You can try cleaning the ink cartridge by using a cotton swab to wipe away any dirt or dried ink from the print header. Also, clean the printer heads.
Step 5 – Perform Print Cartridge Alignment
You need to always remember to run “Self-Test Diagnostic” and “Print Cartridge Alignment” to resolve the issue of black ink not printing. If you get an error message saying “Print cartridge alignment failed”, you need to follow the troubleshooting steps for Print Cartridge alignment.
- Load the correct type of paper, you can use A4 size paper
- Press Setup button on control panel of printer
- Press Down arrow to select Tools and press OK
- Press Down arrow again to select Align Print Cartridges, and press OK
- Your printer will calibrate, align the print head and print an alignment page
Step 6- Run Diagnostic software
If none of the above troubleshooting steps help, you need to download and run the “HP Print and Scan Doctor” software provided by the company. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Install the HP Print and Scan Doctor software by following on-screen instructions
- Open HP Print and Scan Doctor and click Start on the Welcome screen
- Select your Printer from the list and click Next
- On the next screen, select Fix Printing
- The software will try to diagnose and fix the printer issue
If the issue is still not resolved, there could be a more serious problem with the printing mechanism. Call HP support or visit your nearest HP service center to get the issue fixed. Alternatively you could post your question in the comments below and one of our experts may be able to help.