Below are some common issues related to Epson printers and scanners and some easy troubleshooting steps to help resolve these issues.
Problem 1: Windows 8 is not installing printer driver after connecting printer
If your Windows 8 machine is not detecting and installing the Epson Printer Driver automatically, then you need to install the printer manually following the steps set out below.
- Switch on the Epson printer and connect it to the Windows 8 system
- Switch on your PC
- Go to Desktop
- Right-click on the Start button and click Control Panel
- Click Hardware & Sound
- In the Hardware & Sound window, click Devices and Printers
- Click Add a Printer
- If your printer model does not appear in the list, select “The printer that I want isn’t listed”
- In next window, select Add a local printer or network with manual settings
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to install the printer
Problem 2: Don’t have Windows 8 Driver for Printer and unable to install Windows 7 Printer Driver in compatibility mode
It is quite common for Windows compatibility assistant to appear when you try to install Windows 7 Drivers for your printer. You need to follow the steps set out below to install Windows 7 Printer Drivers in compatibility mode.
- Right-click on the Driver executable (.exe) file
- Select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Under compatibility mode, select Windows 7 from the drop-down list
- Click Apply > OK
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Printer Driver in compatibility mode
- Restart your PC
Problem 3: Windows 8 is using in-box driver. How to update Printer Driver for old Epson printer?
Sometimes the in-box driver in windows prevents you from using all functionality and features of your Epson Printer. To overcome this problem, you can install the Windows 7 Driver until Epson releases the Windows 8 Driver for your printer model
- Go to the Epson printer manufacturer website and download Windows 7 Driver for the old Epson printer model you have
- When you try to install Windows 7 Drivers, the Program Compatibility Assistant dialog pops up
- Click Run the program without getting help
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the Printer Drivers
You can periodically check the Epson website for the latest Drivers for Windows 8 and install them. Alternatively, you can use a driver update tool, which will download the latest Epson printer driver for Windows 8 as soon as the manufacturer releases them. It will also keep these and your other device Drivers up to date so it is one less thing to worry about.